This oil painting of Eggplant and Plums was made for a friend of mine who likes Old Masters and wanted me to paint something in their style. I thought she would prefer darker mood.
First I made a photo of an eggplant (aubergine) and some plums in a beautiful vintage plate that she brought as a present from Italy.
Then I used it as a reference for this oil painting.
ART SUPPLIES used for this oil painting:
- Mars Orange Transparent oil paint – Nevskaya Palitra
- Lemon Yellow – Daler Rowney
- Yellow Ochre – Winsor & Newton
- Raw Umber – Winsor & Newton
- Cobalt Violet – Daler Rowney
- Sap Green – Daler Rowney
- Cadmium Green Light – Holbein
- French Ultramarine – Winsor & Newton
- Prussian Blue – Daler Rowney
- Indigo – Holbein
- Neutral Gray – Pebeo
- Payne’s Gray – Winsor & Newton
- Titanium White – Daler Rowney
- Liquin Light Gel – Winsor & Newton
- Artisan Thinner – Winsor & Newton
- Oil Paint Dilutant and Brush Cleaner – Zest-It
- Oil Painting Paper – Daler Rowney
Here you can see the first layer done. It is an underpainting, aka imprimatura, made with Mars Orange Transparent oil paint diluted with a thinner. Since majority of my oil paints are water mixable, I’m using Winsor & Newton Artisan Thinner. For traditional oil paint I use Zest-It Oil Paint Dilutant and Brush Cleaner.
Blocking in is done by laying down big shapes in basic colors. I used paints directly from tubes thinned with just a little Liquin Light Gel.
In subsequent layers I added shadows, midtones and highlights.
To see the exact process, click PLAY button on the video below. I recorded a sound as well and added some soothing dreamy piano music so that you can relax while watching (ASMR).
I hope you enjoyed this oil painting as much as my mixed-media paintings.